Saturday 2 June 2012

Expanding.......

Well, it has finally started - I've taken the first little baby steps on this journey, and that feels GREAT! 

Last week I had a couple of appointments with my Ortodontist - which were not terribly exciting in themselves, but were pretty exciting for me because something is finally happening. 

The first appointment took all of about 10 minutes - five of which were taken up by my questions; then they fitted four spacers between my top molars.  Didn't hurt, although the Dr said that the pain would likely kick in (if it was going to) in about 3 hours.  I did feel my front teeth squish together a little more, and ended up with a slight headache later on, but nothing that a panadol and a neurofen didn't fix.  Yay. 

Two days later I was back again, and this time they took the spacers out, fitted steel bands and took plaster impressions, then took all that back out and put the spacers back in.  Some of this hurt, but not too much. 

These impressions were so that an expander appliance can be specially made to fit my mouth. 

Hopefully not too many more almost appointments this close together - as each one is a 400km round trip from home. 

I did find that my teeth (different ones at different times) were a bit tender if I attempted to chew - hardish things like bacon or toast - but now - a week later, all is good and I can comfortably eat whatever I want. 

I am trying to really enjoy doing this - for the people who can't at the moment. 

The next step isn't too far away - just under 3 weeks, and again back to back appointments :(  where my Ortho will fit the expander appliance. 

The following day, I am booked in for my first surgery which involves breaking my palate right down the middle, and the expander appliance will be wound out to a certain extent.  It is then up to me to wind it out a little more every day until the desired width is achieved.  This is going to open up a 'large' gap between my front teeth - so the progress photos will be um...... interesting. 

The Ortho (should stop calling him that) - Dr Ong has estimated that although the desired width should be achieved after a few weeks, I will need to wear the appliance for about 6 months.

I am not too worried about the gap itself - I had one when I was in primary school, and there are a number of others in my family who also have gaps, but I guess it will take some getting used to again.  Not for too long though........

About five weeks after I have the first surgery, I should be ready to have my braces fitted.  So for five or so months, my mouth is going to have more metal than teeth - sounds like fun hey? 

I am excited about this though.  Am I strange or what?

Thanks for listening :)   













   



    

No comments:

Post a Comment