Wednesday 28 August 2013

More metal anyone?

Hi there,  yesterday I went to see Dr O & he fitted my surgical hooks.  

Good grief!! Not too bad an appointment in the scheme of things.  Not painful & thankfully he had to remove the wires to attach the surgical hooks - as a pair of the crimpers broke (handle snapped clean off!!) & my wire went flying across the room.  All good, we laughed about it.  

Hooks will stay on for about six weeks in my case.  Obviously they need to go on as close to surgery as possible, then will come off when they can easily access them & not cause too much pain.  Each tooth is wired individually also (rather than the pretty plastic colours I'm used to).

So it feels like the first day I had my braces on again, with all this extra metal that sticks out oddly.  And I feel like I may scare small children (or even big ones) if I smile at them :)

Today all my teeth are a little tender, but nothing out of the ordinary.  

13 days and counting until surgery.  I'm looking forward to the point where I wake up from surgery and know 'YES!  I did it - it's over' (at least the waiting for surgery part anyway).  I clearly remember THAT moment from my last surgery.  

The nerves and doubts are trying to creep into my thoughts, but I refuse to allow it.  I need to go into this with a clear head, thinking positively & full of healthy healing vibes.  I CAN do this!!

3 comments:

  1. It's a really good feeling seeing the light at the end of the tunnel so closely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You CAN do this! And don't let my rambling scare you out of it :) Sometimes, during recovery, you start to feel like it's taking too long. But then, you get a sweet comment from a friend you've nevet met and you cheer right up! Thanks for your sweet words, Ellie. Good luck to you! You are lovely now, but when you are done, Im sure you will feel gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your day is coming up quick! How exciting! I'm 35 as well and have 2 children. It was certainly an adventure getting through the first couple of weeks. Things will turn out great and soon be over!

    ReplyDelete