Monday 19 August 2013

T minus 22 days and counting 😁


Well whirlwind doesn't quite seem to cut it, but we'll go with that anyway!  

Just back from 17 beautiful magic unforgettable days in stunning  New Zealand where we celebrated my Grandmother's 90th birthday; participated in a HUGE family reunion on many levels; paraglided off mountains; went snowboarding for the first time; explored in a Campervan; and I got engaged to my wonderful partner Bernie.  An unbeatable holiday really, and who has time to think about jaw surgery with all of THAT going on????










Ok back to jaw surgery......

Yesterday I had my work-up appointment with my surgeon, which went pretty well.  

He took moulds (that didn't hurt when he pulled them out - bless him) and measured my head with a weird contraption that sits in your ears and balances on your nose.  

I only had a few questions, and other than that just clarified my understanding of what's what.  

Dr D says that my midline is off by about 3mm (which he'll fix); and he's likely to take about 4mm from my top jaw.  Not sure on the likely movement forward for my bottom jaw yet, and movement of my chin (if required) will be decided by the whole surgical team on the day.  

If all goes to plan, I'll spend two nights in hospital and will not have a splint or bands.  While this did seen a little strange as it does not seem to be the norm in blogging world, I have read other blogs where this is the case, and I do trust Dr D completely.  I'm pretty stoked that I might be able to 'eat' squishy things that will fit on a spoon pretty much straight away.  We'll see.  

Made my first purchase for surgery yesterday (a sit up pillow thingy) to help me sleep upright-ish.  I think that it will probably be my only purchase out of the ordinary.   


I started a Nutritional Cleansing program back in April with a view to get my body healthy and prepare myself for surgery.  At this system's core is a nutrition packed shake, and I'll be able to continue feeding my body properly even though I may not be able to 'eat' which conveniently will be perfect for jaw surgery recovery.  


I firmly believe that the quality of the vitamins, minerals and core nutrients contained within this system will help me heal and recover faster.  For anyone who'd like more information feel free to email me (reeawa@yahoo.com.au)

We already have a stash of lip balm and itty-bitty toothbrushes here at home; and I plan to use little zip lock bags of frozen peas as ice-packs.  I can't think of anything else that I'll need (apart from some big hugs & the support of my family, friends & of course my blog buddies) to help me through.  

I have an appointment next week with Dr O to have my surgical hooks fitted, then a final pre-surgery appt on the 9th.  

Double jaw surgery here I come - I'm gunna kick your arse!!!





11 comments:

  1. Glad you had a great holiday Ellie. I really like the pillow thing you bought - I might have to copy you and order one. I am usually a one pillow max, lie flat sleeper, so I know I'll struggle with sleeping upright. Good luck with your upcoming appointments :) it's so close!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Corrine, if I'm T minus 22; you must be about 15 to go? It's weird to be excited about and looking forward to something like this, but I really am. Good to have others, like minded like you, to go through this together.

      Delete
  2. Aaaaaaah! Congratulations on your engagement! What a wonderful holiday you had :-)

    You are so positive and excited! it's brilliant, I hope your next appointment goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Natasha, congrats on your new home purchase!! That must feel great having something to call your own.
    We really did have the BEST holiday EVER!! It still doesn't seem quite real.
    I am really excited, and to be honest I thought that at this point I'd be getting jittery and nervous, but I think I'm prepared, and I've had more than a year to get used to the idea. I think it helps to have a positive attitude (although I am sure it will leave me at times) and think of the best scenario (while being prepared for the worst).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the engagement!! So good to hear such happy news. The pictures are all so beautiful. Mmmm wine, cheese, and olives! So excited for you as you're nearing surgery. Sending lots and lots of positive vibes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the well wishes Terra, and thanks also for sharing your blog and jaw surgery experience.

      Delete
  5. Ellie I am soo happy for you!! congrats you really deserved the best holiday :) I am so excited for you to have your surgery and see your results. You definitely have it right, you will kick this jaw surgerys butt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cassie, it will be your time for surgery before you know it & that pesky stray tooth will be where it should be before too long. Hang in there :)

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on the engagement Ellie! Sounds like you had a great holiday :) snowboarding looks awesome!
    Good luck with your pre-surgery appointments, am looking forward to hearing how everything goes. Not long to go now! Glad you're feeling prepared and even excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelsie (I am officially in love with NZ) and one day, I'll live there!!
      I know - excited seems to be a bit of a strange feeling to have with surgery pending, but yes I am. It may also have something to do with the redidual 'holiday high' or the fact that I'm finally able to plan the wedding!

      Delete
  7. Aaaw thanks C. No one likes a whinger & it doesn't help anyway. :D

    ReplyDelete